At A Glance
WHY CHOOSE THIS WALK?
- Climb Skiddaw, the fourth highest peak in England.
- Summit 7 peaks (all Wainwright’s)
- A linear walk across the high northern fells
- Immerse yourself in the very best mountain walking in the Lake District
- Breath-taking views of the Lake District fells and lakes
- Fully guided so you can relax and enjoy the experience
- Fantastic group atmosphere with like-minded walkers
WHY CHOOSE MOUNTAIN WALKS?
- We specialise in small group guided walks
- All walks are led by experienced and knowledgeable leaders
- We make sure you have an unforgettable experience
- Great communication from booking to the day of the walk
- Friendly, relaxed and fun mountain walking experiences
Book Walk of the Year – A Tour of Skiddaw
Skiddaw, at 931m, is the highest mountain in the Northern Lake District dominating the skyline above Keswick. Skiddaw is the fourth highest peak in the Lake District and the oldest, dating back 500 million years. A colossal mountain, a giant in stature, that commands attention and making it a deserving walk of the year.
The route takes you over 7 Wainwright’s with Skiddaw being the highest summit at 931 metres. This beautiful linear walk takes you from the west side of the range near Bassenthwaite over several summits back down to Keswick completing a traverse of the whole group of summits.
The Tour of Skiddaw Peaks:
- Ullock Pike – 691m
- Longside Edge – 734m
- Carl Side – 746m
- Skiddaw – 931m
- Little Man – 865m
- Lonscale Fell – 715m
- Latrigg – 368m
So why this walk? A superb and varied mountain adventure. Skiddaw is one of the biggest summits but also one of the interesting in terms of its geology and history. The views are breath-taking, especially over Derwent Water and the Coledale fells, and on a clear day over to Scotland. A steep and challenging route making this a fantastic mountain adventure and one of the best multi-peak walks in the Lakes. All our Lake District walks are circular so a nice change to do a linear walk as well.
- Saturday 30th July
- Saturday 3rd September
- Sunday 18th September
- Friday 7th October
What is the walk of the year?
Every year we will be leading a special ‘one-off’ walk that explores a different part of the Lake District. The walk will be different each year so there is always going to be something new to look forward to. The routes will be some of our favourites, often the less travelled and more obscure areas, and a way for you to tick off even more Lakeland summits and discover new places you may not normally go.
Where does it start?
A Tour of Skiddaw starts and finishes in Keswick, and this is also the ideal place if you are needing accommodation. As this is a linear walk, we will be using a bus (included) to take us to the start, and we then walk back to Keswick over the summits.
Is it for me?
This is a tough and challenging walk. There are some steep climbs so a good level of mountain walking fitness and ideally some previous hillwalking experience is required.
How to book a place on the guided walk
You can book your guided walk anytime through the website.
- Decide which date you would like to attend
- Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click ‘book now’
- You pay a 35% deposit to book your place
- We email you with all the walk information including kit lists, timings, parking and training plans