At A Glance
Why choose this workshop?
- Ideal for people new to hillwalking and those with some experience
- Learn new skills and start enjoying mountain adventures
- Boost your confidence and experience in the mountains
- Enjoy a fantastic day hillwalking while learning skills and meeting new people
- The most useful day you will ever have in the mountains
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- Expert instructors who are passionate about teaching mountain skills
- We specialise in hillwalking workshops and training courses
- Fun, friendly and relaxed atmosphere. No pressure. No stress.
- We have a fantastic reputation for running outstanding workshops and courses
Book Get Started Hillwalking
Get Started Hillwalking is a one-day practical workshop specifically for people getting started in mountain walking. After the workshop you will have a solid understanding of hillwalking skills so you can get outside and enjoy hillwalking safely and competently.
The content of the workshop is aimed at beginners and people new to hillwalking or those who have some experience and want to learn the fundamental skills.
If you want to increase your confidence, learn the basics of navigation, know how to prepare for walks and gain some experience, then this one-day workshop is a great way to get started.
The workshop covers:
- Navigation skills – using a map and compass so you can navigate with ease
- Planning walks – where to go and how to prepare for your adventures
- Clothing and equipment – what you need to wear and carry on walks
- Weather – how to read and understand a mountain weather forecast
- Mountain safety – dealing with issues and what to do in an emergency
The workshops are held in two locations:
- Lake District (Langdale Valley near Ambleside)
- Snowdonia (Capel Curig near Betws-y-Coed)
There are several dates throughout the year. You can view the dates below or on the booking calendar above.