At A Glance
Why choose this workshop?
- A hands-on and highly engaging practical hillwalking workshop
- Expert instructing and coaching
- Small groups so you get the most out the day
- 1-to-1 advice and practical help
- Ran at a pace that is comfortable and not overwhelming
- Ideal for with people who are new to hillwalking
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- All our workshop are led and taught by fully qualified instructors who are also experts at coaching and teaching
- We specialise in recreational hillwalking workshops and events
- Our workshops are taught in a fun, friendly and relaxed atmosphere. No pressure.
- We make sure that everything from booking your workshop to learning is as stress free and enjoyable as possible
Book Get Started Hillwalking
Do you want to start hillwalking and not sure where to begin? Would you like a taster day so you know what to do and how to get started? Do you want to learn some skills but don’t have the time to commit to a longer course?
We can help. In fact, we’ve helped hundreds of people do exactly that. We are here to help make it happen – and in person.
Everything you wanted to know such as navigation, planning, kit, strategy and much more is covered in this workshop, which takes places in some of the most amazing hillwalking areas of the Lake district and Snowdonia.
- Friday 10th May
- Friday 7th June
- Friday 12th July
- Friday 9th August
- Friday 24th May
- Friday 21st June
- Friday 26th July
- Friday 23rd August
Get Started Hillwalking is a fun, practical, one-day workshop tailored to those who want to learn the basics of hillwalking and gain a good foundation of skills.
You will get professional guidance, expert coaching, big heaps of encouragement and a massive amount of inspiration, no matter what your level of experience.
We will teach you everything you need to know to get started and get inspired. You’ll take part in practical activities in the mountains learning and developing lots of new skills.
What will I learn?
You will learn a lot over the day. We start with the very basics and move on from there. The whole day is practical so you will be in the mountains, with your group and instructor, learning hands-on.
- Navigation and map reading (basics and foundation level)
- Following a route from a guide book
- Planning your walks
- Essential kit and equipment
- Staying safe and dealing with issue
- Walking skills that make hillwalking easier
- Loads and loads of top tips and expert advice
It’s also a chance to ask all those questions and get answers from the experts.
Who is this for?
The workshop is aimed at complete beginners and those with limit amount of experience.
If you have climbed Snowdon, Scafell Pike or completed a couple of mountain days and want to go to the next level then this is for you.
We want to share with you all the essential information you need in one action-packed day of knowledge, learning, tips, advice, tricks and of course fun.
The workshops will be held in the Langdale Valley, Lake District and Capel Curig, Snowdonia.
Your instructors are not only fully qualified mountain leaders but also experts in teaching skills, coaching and development. They will be with you for the entire workshop and offer lots of 1-to-1 advice, practical help and expert coaching.
Your instructors have trained hundreds of hillwalkers and are experts at delivering outstanding hillwalking workshops. The day will be relaxed, friendly and fun. A hillwalking workshop may sound daunting but we guarantee you will have a fantastic experience and the workshop will be ran at a level you are comfortable with. No pressure, no stress, no worry.
What you will need
- A passion and interest for hillwalking
- Desire to learn hillwalking skills
- Suitable outdoor clothing and equipment (kit list will be sent)
- A good level of fitness to complete a full day mountain walking
How to book
Places are limited to just 6 people on each date and we only run a few workshops each year.
You can book your workshop anytime through the website
1. Decide which date you would like to attend and at which location (Lakes or Snowdonia)
2. Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click‘book now’
3. A small 35% deposit is payable today to book your place
4. We email you with all the walk information including kit lists, timings, parking and locations