At A Glance
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- Learn the fundamentals of map reading & navigation
- Gain confidence walking and navigating in low-level areas
- Learn new skills in one of the most beautiful parts of the Lakes District.
- Practical course taught a fun, relaxed and enjoyable environment.
- This course is ideal for beginners with no navigation experience.
- Low-level day so no big slogs up mountains.
WHY CHOOSE MOUNTAIN WALKS?
- We specialise in small group courses and skills workshops in the Lake District.
- All our courses are led by experienced our Mountain Leaders.
- We are dedicated to the highest quality of client care and providing courses that are fun, inspiring, and professional.
- Our team are always here to help and answer your questions.
Book Lowland Navigation & Map Reading Skills
A one-day map reading and navigation course specifically for those wanting to learn skills to navigate and plan routes in lowland areas. Ideal for those wanting to be more self-sufficient and learn skills needed to confidently walk in lower-level outdoor environments.
Being about navigate confidentiality is an essential skill all walkers need to know. After this course you will have the skills and confidence to plan routes, use maps and navigate with ease. You will be outside in the beautiful Lake District exploring tarns, forests and rolling countryside learning essential navigation skills in a practical way. This is a very relaxed and enjoyable day, in a small group, and under the guidance of one of our experienced leaders.
What you will learn:
- How to read a map and follow routes
- Basic compass skills to aid your navigation
- Planning routes and following guidebooks
- What to do if you get lost and getting back on track
- Simple and straightforward navigation strategies
- Staying safe in the outdoors
- Rules and regulations such as rights of access
Dates and times:
(All courses start at 9.00am and finish around 5.00pm.)
- Dates TBC
Where is the course held?
The course will start in Coniston in the Lake District. A beautiful area with plenty woodlands, tarns, rivers, and countryside to explore. We will spend the day in one of the most beautiful areas of the Lake District.
Is this for me?
No prior navigation experience is required. This is ideal for those who are new or experienced walkers and want to learn the fundamentals of lowland navigation and map reading. If you enjoy easier walking, and spend most your time in lowland areas, then this course is ideal for you. Most of the day will be spent in lower-level and flatter areas.
This course is also ideal for anyone who is apprehensive about learning navigation and wants a more relaxed course which covers all the basics in a clear and concise way without the pressure of a big day in the mountains.
We will still be covering several miles of walking in the outdoors so a good level of walking fitness and outdoor clothing will be required. Compass and maps will be provided.
How to book your Lowland Navigation & Map Reading course
You can book your navigation course anytime through the website.
- Decide which date you would like to attend
- Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click ‘book now’
- You pay a 35% deposit to book your place
- We email you with all the walk information including kit lists, timings and parking
Spaces on this course are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We require a 35% deposit to reserve a place and the remaining balance is due 4 weeks prior to the weekend.
All information will be emailed to you immediately after booking (check all inboxes). This will include all the details you need including start and finish times, location details, parking information, and what you need to prepare and bring with you.