At A Glance
Why choose this walk?
- Complete a full circuit of Derwent Water and the surrounding fells
- Explore one of the most beautiful areas of the Lake District
- Visit some of the idilic spots and view points around Derwent Water
- Ideal for beginners with a good level of fitness
- One of the best walks you will ever do in the Lake District
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- We specialise in small group guided walks and we ensure you have a fun, relaxed and stress-free experience that you will never forget.
- All our walks are led by an exceptional and dedicated team of experienced Mountain Leaders.
- We are dedicated to the highest quality of client care and providing adventures that are remarkable, inspiring and memorable. We put our clients at the heart of everything we do.
- Our team are always here to help from booking to completing the walk. You will be sent plenty of information, lots of advice and kept up to date before the walk.
Book Derwent Water Challenge
Looking for your next walking challenge but don’t want to follow the crowd? Whether you’re planning your next personal goal, or just want to go on an epic walk, the Derwent Water Challenge is for you.
Enjoy 16-miles of breathtaking views and stunning mountain landscapes on this unforgettable walking adventure in the Lake District. The Derwent Water Challenge is a tough yet rewarding walk around the peaks that circle Derwent Water where you will experience some of the best mountain and lakes views in Lakeland, summit two peaks, and visit some of the most breathtaking spots around Derwent Water.
- Saturday 7th August 2021
- Sunday 12th September 2021
- Saturday 7th May 2022
- Sunday 19th June 2022
- Friday 15th July 2022
- Saturday 13th August 2022
- Sunday 4th September 2022
- Friday 30th September 2022
Highlights of the Derwent Water Challenge include:
- A full circuit around Derwent Water (via and across the higher summits)
- Summit Cat Bells and Walla Crag
- Stunning panoramic mountain views and iconic Lakeland scenes
- Visit the picturesque villages of Borrowdale
- Discover Watendlath Tarn, Surprise View and Ashness Bridge
- A challenging 16-miles walking adventure and a great personal goal
- Fully guided by our knowledgable and expert Mountain Leaders
This is a unique walking challenge and the perfect way to discover one of the most beautiful areas of the Lake District. Make the Derwent Water Challenge your next adventure and experience one of the most beautiful parts of the Lake District.
Where does it start?…
The walk will start and finish in Keswick, Cumbria. We would recommend booking accommodation in Keswick or the surrounding area if you are planning to stay before or after the walk.
Is it for me?…
You will require a good level of hillwalking fitness and will need to be able to walk for 8-10 hours and tackle the 1,000m+ of ascent. This is a group guided walk led by one of our experienced Mountain Leaders. This is not a lower-level walk around the edge of the lake. You will be going over higher peaks that surround Derwent Water so expect some tough climbs, rough terrain and a challenging mountain day.
How to book your walk
You can book your walk anytime through the website.
1. Decide which date you would like to attend
2. Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click ‘book now’
3. You pay a 35% deposit to book your place
4. We email you with all the walk information including kit lists, timings, parking and training plans