At A Glance
Why choose this challenge?
- Discover the most beautiful lake in the Lake District National Park
- 20-mile circular walk taking in all the highlights of this stunning area
- Meet like-minded walkers on this superb mini-adventure
- Experience some of the best views the Lake District has to offer
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- We specialise in small group guided walks and we ensure you have a fun, relaxed and stress-free experience that you will never forget.
- All our walks are led by an exceptional and dedicated team of experienced Mountain Leaders.
- We are dedicated to the highest quality of client care and providing adventures that are remarkable, inspiring and memorable. We put our clients at the heart of everything we do.
- Our team are always here to help from booking to completing the walk. You will be sent plenty of information, lots of advice and kept up to date before the walk.
Book The Ullswater Way Challenge
The Ullswater Way is a recently opened 20-mile walking route around Ullswater. The route circumnavigates Ullswater and gives you the chance to explore every bit of the most beautiful lake in England. The walk is tough but the views are breathtaking. This has to be the finest lake walk in England and a great long distance walking challenge too.
The Ullswater Way Challenge starts in Pooley Bridge and you would go anti-clockwise around the lake. The walk is one of the most scenic in the Lake District with breathtaking views from Maiden Castle, the Memorial Seat (one of the best views in Lakeland), Glencoyne, Aira Force and of course amazing views across the lake, on our way to Glenriding at the far end of Ullswater.
The next section was described by Wainwright as “the most beautiful and rewarding walk in Lakeland” which sees the group walk round the south end of Ullswater and along the more remote eastern shore. The views are breathtaking! We pass the hamlets of Sandwick and through Howtown before either taking the low-level route back to Pooley Bridge or an ascent to The Cockpit, a stone circle on the slopes of High Street, with more stunning views across Ullswater.
Dates for 2019
- Thursday 4th April
- Sunday 5th May
- Thursday 30th May
- Saturday 6th July
- Thursday 1st August
- Sunday 1st September
The route was opened in 2016 as a way to boost tourism to the area which was devastated by the 2015 Cumbrian floods. We strongly encourage you to stay local to Ullswater and support the local businesses during the walk.
Where does it start?
The Ullswater Way starts and finishes in Pooley Bridge in the Lake District.
Is it for me?
The Ullswater Way requires a good level of fitness and you will need to be able to walk for up to 9-hours at a comfortable pace. The route is not as flat as you would expect with the total ascent similar to Snowdon. We highly recommend training for this walk and ensuring you are prepared for a long distance walk.
How to book your guided walk
You can book your guided walk anytime through the website.
1. Decide which date you would like to attend
2. Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click ‘book now’
3. You pay a 35% deposit to book your place
4. We email you with all the walk information including kit lists, timings, parking and training plans
** Fully booked or can’t make a date? Join the reserve list and event updates…
If any events are fully booked or you are unable to attend a specific dates then we can send you updates via email. We often add additional dates or have cancellations so we can let you know when things become available.
Just enter your details below…