At A Glance
Why choose this course?
- A weekend practical course covering navigation, route planning, basic scrambling, and hillwalking fundamentals
- An ideal course for intermediate hillwalkers who want to build on their confidence and competence in the mountains
- A relaxed course and small group ratio, so you get the most out of the weekend
- Led by an experienced Mountain Walks instructor
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- We specialise in small group guided walks and we ensure you have a fun, relaxed and stress-free experience that you will never forget.
- All our walks are led by an exceptional and dedicated team of experienced Mountain Leaders.
- We are dedicated to the highest quality of client care and providing adventures that are remarkable, inspiring and memorable. We put our clients at the heart of everything we do.
- Our team are always here to help from booking to completing the walk. You will be sent plenty of information, lots of advice and kept up to date before the walk.
Book Mountain Skills Course
After completing this two-day course, you will be able to tackle mountain walks over all types of terrain, know how to manage risks and hazards, navigate with a map and compass, plan routes, and know what to consider before going out in the mountains.
Key concepts you will learn on the mountain skills course:
- Choosing a route: how to plan a walk in the mountains
- Navigation skills: map reading, using a compass and what to do when things go wrong
- Basic scrambling: an introduction to scrambling and gain confidence on steep ground
- Responding to hazards, what to do in an emergency and team welfare
- Walking skills: pace, movement in the mountains and clothing/equipment
- Weather: understanding the weather and how it can influence your day
This two-day mountain skills course will equip participants with the skills and confidence required to get started walking in more mountainous terrain. You will spend two-days in the mountains learning about navigation, route planning, managing risks and the weather before moving on to steeper, rockier terrain away from trails.
Where does it start?
The Mountain Skills course starts in Capel Curig, Snowdonia. Capel Curig is a short drive away from Betws-y-Coed.
When is it?
There are several dates available throughout the year. You can view the dates below or on the booking calendar above.
Is this for me?
Some recent hillwalking experience is required and you are expected to have a good level of fitness and be able to walk over rough terrain. There will be some steeper scrambling sections with some exposure. You will need to wear and bring appropriate hillwalking clothing; this will be outlined in the course information email, which will be emailed to you after you have booked.