At A Glance
Why choose this course?
- A weekend practical course covering navigation, route planning, basic scrambling, and hillwalking fundamentals
- An ideal course for intermediate hillwalkers who want to build on their confidence and competence in the mountains
- A relaxed course and small group ratio, so you get the most out of the weekend
- Led by an experienced Mountain Walks instructor
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- We specialise in small group guided walks and we ensure you have a fun, relaxed and stress-free experience that you will never forget.
- All our walks are led by an exceptional and dedicated team of experienced Mountain Leaders.
- We are dedicated to the highest quality of client care and providing adventures that are remarkable, inspiring and memorable. We put our clients at the heart of everything we do.
- Our team are always here to help from booking to completing the walk. You will be sent plenty of information, lots of advice and kept up to date before the walk.
Book Hill & Mountain Skills Course
This two-day Hill & Mountain skills course will equip participants with the skills and confidence required to get started walking in more mountainous terrain. You will spend two-days in the mountains learning about navigation, route planning, managing risks and the weather before moving on to steeper, rockier terrain away from trails.
After completing this two-day course, you will be able to tackle mountain walks over all types of terrain, know how to manage risks and hazards, navigate with a map and compass, plan routes, and know what to consider before going out in the mountains.
- Saturday 11th April – Sunday 12th April 2020
- Saturday 9th May – Sunday 10th May 2020
- Saturday 13th June – Sunday 14th June 2020
- Saturday 11th July – Sunday 12th July 2020
- Saturday 8th August – Sunday 9th August 2020
- Saturday 17th April – Sunday 18th April 2021
- Saturday 15th May – Sunday 16th May 2021
- Saturday 19th June – Sunday 20th June 2021
- Saturday 17th July – Sunday 18th July 2021
- Saturday 14th August – Sunday 15th August 2021
- Saturday 18th September – Sunday 19th September 2021
Key concepts you will learn on the Hill & Mountain skills course:
- Choosing a route: how to plan a walk in the mountains
- Navigation skills: map reading, using a compass and what to do when things go wrong
- Basic scrambling: an introduction to scrambling and gain confidence on steep ground
- Responding to hazards and what to do in an emergency
- Walking skills: pace, movement in the mountains and clothing/equipment
- Weather: understanding the weather and how it can influence your day
Where is the course held?
The Hill & Mountain Skills course starts in Capel Curig, Snowdonia. Capel Curig is a short drive away from Betws-y-Coed.
Is this for me?
Some recent hillwalking experience is required and you are expected to have a good level of fitness and be able to walk over rough terrain. There will be some steeper scrambling sections with some exposure. You will need to wear and bring appropriate hillwalking clothing; this will be outlined in the course information email, which will be emailed to you after you have booked.
How to book your Hill & Mountain Skills course
You can book your course anytime through the website.
1. Decide which date you would like to attend
2. Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click ‘book now’
3. You pay a 35% deposit to book your place
4. We email you with all the walk information including kit lists, timings, parking and training tips
Spaces on this course are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We require a 35% deposit to reserve a place and the remaining balance is due 6 weeks prior to the weekend. All information will be emailed to you immediately after booking. This will include all the details you need, including start and finish times, location details, parking information, and what you need to prepare and bring with you.