At A Glance
Why choose this course?
- A weekend practical course covering navigation, route planning, basic scrambling, and hillwalking fundamentals
- An ideal course for intermediate hillwalkers who want to build on their confidence and competence in the mountains
- A relaxed course and small group ratio, so you get the most out of the weekend
- Led by an experienced Mountain Walks instructor
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- We specialise in small group guided walks and we ensure you have a fun, relaxed and stress-free experience that you will never forget.
- All our walks are led by an exceptional and dedicated team of experienced Mountain Leaders.
- We are dedicated to the highest quality of client care and providing adventures that are remarkable, inspiring and memorable. We put our clients at the heart of everything we do.
- Our team are always here to help from booking to completing the walk. You will be sent plenty of information, lots of advice and kept up to date before the walk.
Book Hill & Mountain Skills Course
This intermediate level two-day Hill & Mountain skills course will equip participants with the skills and confidence required to go walking in mountainous terrain. You will spend two-days in the mountains learning about navigation, route planning, strategies, managing risks and the weather.
After completing this two-day course, you will be able to tackle mountain walks over all types of terrain, know how to manage risks and hazards, navigate with a map and compass, plan routes, and know what to consider before going out in the mountains.
Key concepts you will learn on the Hill & Mountain skills course:
- Choosing a route: how to plan a walk in the mountains
- Navigation skills: map reading, using a compass and staying on track
- Basic scrambling: an introduction to scrambling and steep ground
- Responding to hazards: what to do in an emergency
- Walking skills: pace, movement in the mountains and clothing/equipment
- Weather: understanding a mountain forecast and how it can influence your day
- Modern navigation: GPS/phones and the pros/cons of using them
- Saturday 16th March – Sunday 17th March 2024
- Thursday 18th April – Friday 19th April 2024
- Thursday 29th August – Friday 30th August 2024
- Saturday 21st September – Sunday 22nd September 2024
Where is the course held?
The Hill & Mountain Skills course is held in Grasmere, Lake District. You will need to be in Grasmere for 9.00am on the first day of the course. Depending on group aspirations, we may go to a different location on the second day, we will try and keep this as local as possible.
You will need to arrange your own accommodation and travel. This is not included in the course price and as everyone has different preferences and budgets it is easier for you to arrange this yourself. Grasmere is the obvious place to stay and Ambleside is just 10 mins drive away. There are numerous hostels, campsites, B&Bs and hotels in these areas suitable for all budgets. We suggest booking accommodation as soon as possible (very busy and popular areas to stay).
Is this for me?
Some recent hillwalking experience is required and you are expected to have a good level of fitness and be able to walk over rough terrain. There will be some steeper scrambling sections with some exposure. You will need to wear and bring appropriate hillwalking clothing; this will be outlined in the course information email, which will be emailed to you after you have booked.
How to book your Hill & Mountain Skills course
You can book your course anytime through the website.
1. Decide which date you would like to attend
2. Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click ‘book now’
3. You pay a 35% deposit to book your place
4. We email you with all the walk information including kit lists, timings, parking and training tips
Spaces on this course are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We require a 35% deposit to reserve a place and the remaining balance is due 6 weeks prior to the weekend. All information will be emailed to you immediately after booking. This will include all the details you need, including start and finish times, location details, parking information, and what you need to prepare and bring with you.