Mountain Walks Terms and Conditions
Booking and payment
All events are booked through our secure booking and payment system online. The deposit of 35% (Non-refundable) per person is due at the time of the booking. Final payment is due 4 weeks prior to the start of the event.
Payment (in Sterling) may be made by:
Debit or credit card (UK Maestro, MasterCard, JCB or VISA)
Cancellation by the customer
All cancellations must be in writing and sent to Mountain Walks via email. We are unable to accept cancellations via Facebook messenger or post comments. Mountain Walks will acknowledge a cancellation within 5 days of receiving it. Until the customer has received confirmation the original booking remains valid.
The customer will be charged on the following basis:
- Deposits are non-refundable for all walks and courses. If you cancel we may not be able to re-sell that place in time, and this will be a loss for us. If you pay in full then the deposit amount is 35% of the booking total.
- 100% of the total course or walk fee where cancellation takes place within the period of 4 weeks before the commencement date of the course.
We are unable to move your booking to another date unless we can re-sell the places. For this we require as much notice as possible and we unable to guarantee that your date can be changed.
We strongly advise you to take out cancellation insurance for your event in case you need to cancel due to medical reasons (including Covid), weather or unforeseen circumstances.
We are a small business, when a walk or course is cancelled, and we are unable to fill the places, then it does have a financial impact. It is your responsibility to ensure you train, prepare, take out any insurance, so you are ready for the activity. If you book a place you are stopping someone else booking. Walks are not unlimited places, so please ensure you fully understand the cancellation policy before booking.
Cancellation by Mountain Walks (Due to weather and extreme circumstances)
If we need to cancel an event due to unforeseen circumstances or events, we will notify you as soon as possible. This may be due to circumstances out of our control such as extreme-weather, health advisory issues or environmental issues which we feel are too dangerous or against guidelines issued by the Government for the activity to take place.
If the event is cancelled due to weather, then you will be offered:
- Move the booking to another date
- The exact same event on different dates or an alternative event but equal to monies paid
- If an alternative date is offered, this date will be within 12 months of the original event date
- Voucher to be used for another event at the same price paid
We highly recommend taking out trip/holiday/cancellation insurance for your event. Mountain Walks will not be held liable for costs related to travel, food or accommodation if an event is cancelled for any reason. You must also have cancellation insurance if you need to cancel due to medical reasons.
All our qualified mountain guides have the required ML Summer qualifications and insurance to take out a group into the mountains under summer conditions. In addition, we very strongly advise you to take out insurance for the duration of your trip in respect of cancellation and curtailment, injury, death, lost baggage and money, liability, medical expenses and repatriation.
Minimum number of participants
There is a minimum number for our events to go ahead. In the event of us having to cancel through insufficient numbers, we will let you know at least 21 days in advance and we will offer you an alternative date. If the alternative does not suit you, we will return in full all money paid.
There is no minimum number for private guided itineraries.
Safeguarding your payments
Your payments will be lodged in the ‘Mountain Walks Checkfront account’ and ‘Mountain Walks bank account’.
Being on foot in remote and / or rugged country is potentially hazardous by its nature and participants must accept a certain element of risk. In the interest of safety, you must agree to abide by the decisions of your guide. As we have no control over weather conditions, we reserve the right to alter the itinerary accordingly. People whose fitness or ability is clearly at variance with that required for the grade of the event may be asked to make alternative arrangements (at their own expense) in order to allow the event to proceed as planned.
Please let us know, in confidence, of any conditions from which you suffer which may affect your safety in remote areas. These include vertigo and diabetes. Please consult your doctor if in any doubt.
The liability of Mountain Walks, as an event operator, is strictly limited. Mountain Walks purchases transport, accommodation and other services from independent suppliers not under our control. We carefully select our suppliers, but we serve only as an agent for them in securing tour arrangements. Therefore, we will not accept responsibility for wrongful, negligent, or arbitrary acts or omissions of these independent contractors, their employees, agents, servants or representatives. Mountain Walks will only be liable for loss or damage caused by our negligence or by that of someone employed by us.
Mountain Walks will not be liable for any injury, loss, damage or expense resulting from force majeure or any unforeseen circumstance beyond our control.
Acknowledgement of Risk
- I agree that I will undertake the activities in accordance with the safety rules & advice that I have received with this document together with the oral instructions and advice to be given to me before and during the activities I am undertaking. In addition I agree to wear the safety equipment as instructed, supplied and checked by the instructor/mountain leader.
- I understand that the activities include obstacles of a substantial and physically testing nature. I accept that there is a risk of injury when undertaking such activities.
- I will at all times comply with the instructors’/mountain leaders’ directions and that I am responsible for my own safety before, during and after participating in the activities
- In the unlikely event of an accident, or loss or damage to my personal effects, I acknowledge that the company will not be liable for any direct or indirect loss, damage or injury arising from or in connection with the activities (except for death or personal injury caused by the company’s negligence).
- I certify that to the best of my knowledge I do not have a medical condition which might have the effect of making it more likely that I be involved in an incident which could result in injury to myself or to others
When you place a booking with Mountain Walks, we will ask you to provide an email address. Occasionally, we will send you emails about our guided walks, events and courses that we think you may be interested in. You can unsubscribe to these emails at any time and we will not pass your email onto any third parties. If you prefer not to receive these emails, simply email us at email@example.com and we’ll update your preferences.
In the unlikely event that you have a concern or complaint during your event, this should be brought to our attention immediately so we can try to resolve the situation straight away. Should it not be possible to settle the matter instantly, you should write to us as soon as possible after your holiday. Delay in so doing may lead to an inability to substantiate your claim.