At A Glance
Why choose this walk?
- Discover a new and much quieter area of the Lake District
- Summit 5 peaks (Wainwrights)
- Fully guided so you can relax and enjoy the experience
- Fantastic group atmosphere with like-minded walkers
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- We specialise in small group guided walks
- All walks are led by experienced and knowledgeable leaders
- We make sure you have an unforgettable experience
- Great communication from booking to the day of the walk
- Friendly, relaxed and fun mountain walking experiences
Book The Dodds
The Dodds are three summits (Great Dodd, Watson’s Dodd and Stybarrow Dodd) north of Helvellyn. Of course, this is Mountain Walks, and three summits is never enough!, so this walk will also include Clough Head and Hart Side, tallying up to five summits (Wainwrights).
Starting near the village of Dockray, close to Ullswater and Aira Force, the route begins on the ‘Old Coach Road’ which crosses Threlkeld Common before a steep climb up to Clough Head. From Clough Head the rest of the walk is along the vast and broad ridge which gives you a real sense of airiness and remoteness, tackling each of the ‘lumpy’ summits. From Raise we turn back and make our way down via Hart Side which is one of the more remote and less-visited of the Wainwright summits.
The views are also some of the best with sweeping panoramas over Ullswater, Helvellyn, Blencathra, Derwent Water…and one of the best views of the Scafell and Bow Fell area. The walking is superb, with vast grassy ridges, big rounded summits and long sweeping ascents. We think you will love this walk as much as we do.
The 5 summits are:
- Clough Head – 726 metres
- Great Dodd – 857 metres
- Watson’s Dodd – 789 metres
- Stybarrow Dodd – 843 metres
- Hart Side – 756 metres
Dates and times:
All walks start at 9.00am (8.45am meeting time).
- Saturday 13th April 2024
- Friday 10th May 2024
- Sunday 2nd June 2024
- Saturday 13th July 2024
- Sunday 18th August 2024
Where does it start?
This walk starts near the village of Dockray which is a short drive from Ullswater and Aira Force. The exact meeting point is about 1-mile from Dockray at a place called ‘High Row’. Full meeting instructions which will include maps and parking information will be emailed to you after booking.
Is it for me?
The walk requires a good level of fitness and you will need to be able to walk for up to 8-hours over challenging mountain terrain and tackle the 1000m of ascent. We highly recommend training for this walk (if you feel you need to) and ensuring you are prepared for a long multi-peak day in the mountains.
How to book a place on the guided walk
You can book your guided walk anytime through the website.
- Decide which date you would like to attend
- Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click ‘book now’
- You pay a 35% deposit to book your place
- We email you with all the walk information including kit lists, timings, parking and training plans