At A Glance
Why choose this course?
- Learn the basic fundamentals of mountain navigation in just one day.
- Find out all about map reading, pacing, timings, and compass skills.
- Practical course with real-life situations in the mountains.
- Master the skills needed to navigate off the marked paths and be more adventurous with your route planning.
- This course is ideal for beginners with no navigation experience and also suitable for those who want to refresh their skills.
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- We specialise in small group courses and skills workshops.
- All our courses are led by an exceptional and dedicated team of experienced Mountain Leaders.
- We are dedicated to the highest quality of client care and providing courses that are remarkable, inspiring and memorable.
- Our team are always here to help from booking to completing the walk.
Book Navigation Skills
This one-day navigation course takes you through the fundamentals of mountain navigation and map reading. This course is ideal for anyone wanting to learn map reading, using a compass and gain the skills needed to competently and confidently navigate in the mountains.
Using a map and compass and being able to navigate confidently are essential skills for any hillwalker.
After this course you will be able to navigate proficiently using a map and compass with confidence. You will be able to plan your own walks from maps, guide books or magazines and have the skills to follow the routes and deal with any navigational issues.
You’ll learn and discover:
- Use a map and compass effectively and properly
- Gain confidence and feel comfortable navigating in the mountains with a map
- Learn the skills so you can confidently and competently enjoy your own mountain walks
- The 3-Ds – the key to simple and straightforward navigation
- How to formulate a navigation plan and relating it to the mountains
- How to get back on track…and how to stay on track
- Navigation theory, maps, compasses and navigation principles
Where does it start?
The course will be held in Capel Curig, Snowdonia. Capel Curig is a few miles away from Betws y Coed.
Is this for me?
No prior navigation experience is required but some hillwalking experience would be beneficial. You will need to wear and bring appropriate hillwalking clothing which will be outlined in the course information email. Compass and maps will be provided.