At A Glance
Why choose this course?
- Learn the fundamentals of mountain navigation in just one day.
- Find out all about map reading, pacing, timings, and compass skills.
- Practical course with real-life situations in the mountains.
- Master the skills needed to navigate off the marked paths and be more adventurous with your route planning.
- This course is ideal for beginners with no navigation experience and also suitable for those who want to refresh their skills.
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- We specialise in small group courses and skills workshops.
- All our courses are led by an exceptional and dedicated team of experienced Mountain Leaders.
- We are dedicated to the highest quality of client care and providing courses that are remarkable, inspiring and memorable.
- Our team are always here to help
Book Mountain Navigation & Map Reading Skills
This one-day map reading and navigation course takes you through the fundamentals of navigating in the hills and mountains. This course is ideal for anyone wanting to learn map reading, using a compass and gain the skills needed to competently and confidently navigate with ease.
Using a map and compass and being able to navigate confidently are essential skills for any hillwalker. After this course you will be able to navigate proficiently using a map and compass with confidence. You will be able to plan your own walks from maps, guide books or magazines and have the skills to follow the routes and deal with any navigational issues.
- Saturday 10th April 2021
- Saturday 22nd May 2021
- Saturday 7th August 2021
You’ll learn and discover:
- Use a map and compass effectively and properly
- Gain confidence and feel comfortable navigating in the mountains with a map
- Learn the skills so you can confidently and competently enjoy your own mountain walks
- The 3-Ds – the key to simple and straightforward navigation
- How to formulate a navigation plan and relating it to the mountains
- How to get back on track…and how to stay on track
- Navigation theory, maps, compasses and navigation principles
Where does it start?
The course will be held in Capel Curig, Snowdonia. Capel Curig is a few miles away from Betws y Coed.
Is this for me?
No prior navigation experience is required but some hillwalking experience would be beneficial. You will need to wear and bring appropriate hillwalking clothing which will be outlined in the course information email. Compass and maps will be provided.
How to book your Navigation Skills course
You can book your Mountain Navigation & Map Reading Skills course anytime through the website.
1. Decide which date you would like to attend
2. Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click ‘book now’
3. You pay a 35% deposit to book your place
4. We email you with all the walk information including kit lists, timings, parking and training tips
Spaces on this course are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We require a 35% deposit to reserve a place and the remaining balance is due 6 weeks prior to the weekend. All information will be emailed to you immediately after booking. This will include all the details you need, including start and finish times, location details, parking information, and what you need to prepare and bring with you.