At A Glance
Why choose this course?
- A one-day course that will introduce you to the fundamentals of mountain navigation
- Learn about the essentials of map reading, pacing, timings, and compass skills, so you’ll be ready to tackle any terrain.
- Designed to be practical and hands-on, so you’ll get a chance to practice your new skills in real-life situations you might encounter in the mountains.
- You’ll be able to confidently navigate off marked paths and plan more exciting and adventurous routes.
- Perfect for anyone, whether you’re a complete beginner with no navigation experience or an experienced explorer looking to refresh and enhance your skills.
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- We specialise in providing small-group courses and skills workshops that offer bespoke attention and instruction to each participant.
- Led by an exceptional team of experienced Mountain Leaders, all of our courses are designed to impart practical knowledge and essential skills.
- We are fully committed to delivering the highest standard of client care, ensuring that our courses are remarkable, inspiring, and memorable experiences.
- Our team is always available to provide support and guidance, helping our clients to achieve their learning objectives.
Book Navigation & Map Reading Skills In a Day
Would you like to learn to navigate and map read so you can enjoy your walks safely and confidently? Our one-day map reading and mountain navigation course is designed to teach you all the essential skills you need to competently and confidently navigate in the hills and mountains.
We’ll cover all the essentials, from reading maps and using a compass to navigating through varied terrain. Our expert instructors will guide you through hands-on training and provide in-depth understanding of the fundamental principles and techniques needed to plan and navigate your walks with ease and confidence.
By the end of the course, you’ll have the necessary knowledge and skills to navigate confidently, plan routes effectively, and tackle any potential navigational challenges that may arise. With these invaluable navigation skills, you’ll be able to fully enjoy your outdoor adventures and make every journey a fulfilling and rewarding one.
- Friday 23rd June
- Thursday 20th July
- Sunday 13th August
- Friday 29th September
What the course aims to cover:
This course is all about giving you the skills and confidence to navigate through mountainous terrain with ease. Here are just a few of the things you’ll learn:
- How to use maps and compasses like a pro
- Tips and tricks for navigating through the mountains comfortably and confidently
- The fundamental techniques for simple and straightforward navigation (aka the “3-Ds”)
- How to devise a navigation plan that works for the unique challenges of mountainous environments
- Techniques for maintaining navigational accuracy even in tricky conditions
- A comprehensive understanding of navigation theory, including map and compass use and navigation principles
- Getting back on track ‘if’ it all goes wrong
- Loads of valuable tips and advice about hillwalking and the outdoors
By the end of the course, you’ll be really confident at planning and navigating your own routes, and you’ll have the skills and confidence to tackle any navigational challenges that come your way.
Where does it start?
The course will be held in the Lake District and we will meet in Grasmere.
Is this for me?
No prior navigation experience is required but some hillwalking experience would be beneficial. You will need to wear and bring appropriate hillwalking clothing which will be outlined in the course information email. Compass and maps can be provided if you don’t have them.
How to book your Navigation Skills course
You can book your Navigation & Map Reading Skills course anytime through the website.
1. Decide which date you would like to attend
2. Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click ‘book now’
3. You pay a 35% deposit to book your place
4. We email you with all the walk information including kit lists, timings, parking and training tips
Spaces on this course are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We require a 35% deposit to reserve a place and the remaining balance is due 6 weeks prior to the weekend. All information will be emailed to you immediately after booking. This will include all the details you need, including start and finish times, location details, parking information, and what you need to prepare and bring with you.