At A Glance
Why choose this course?
- Learn the basic fundamentals of mountain navigation in just one day
- Find out all about map reading, pacing, timings, and compass skills
- Practical course with real-life situations in the mountains
- Master the skills needed to navigate off the marked paths and be more adventurous with your route planning
- This course is ideal for beginners with no navigation experience and also suitable for those who want to refresh their skills
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- We specialise in small group guided walks and we ensure you have a fun, relaxed and stress-free experience that you will never forget.
- All our walks are led by an exceptional and dedicated team of experienced Mountain Leaders.
- We are dedicated to the highest quality of client care and providing adventures that are remarkable, inspiring and memorable. We put our clients at the heart of everything we do.
- Our team are always here to help from booking to completing the walk. You will be sent plenty of information, lots of advice and kept up to date before the walk.
Book Navigation Skills
This one-day navigation course takes you through the fundamentals of mountain navigation and map reading. This course is ideal for anyone wanting to learn map reading, using a compass and gain the skills needed to competently and confidently navigate in the mountains.
Using a map and compass and being able to navigate confidently are essential skills for any hillwalker. After this course you will be able to navigate proficiently, safely undertake more adventurous mountain walks, tackle routes away from marked paths, and get more out of your time exploring the UK’s high and wild places.
You’ll learn and discover:
- How to use a map and compass properly
- The 3-Ds – the key to simple and straightforward navigation
- Building confidence through group exercises and real outdoors scenarios
- How to formulate a plan and relating it to the mountains
- Practise correct map reading techniques and strategies with your expert instructor
- How to get back on track
- Navigation theory, maps, compasses and navigation principles
Where does it start?
The course will be held in Capel Curig, Snowdonia. Capel Curig is a few miles away from Betws y Coed.
Is this for me?
No prior navigation experience is required but some hillwalking experience would be beneficial. You will need to wear and bring appropriate hillwalking clothing which will be outlined in the course information email. Compass and maps will be provided.
How to book your course
You can book your navigation skills course anytime through the website.
1. Decide which date you would like to attend
2. Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click ‘book now’
3. You pay a 35% deposit to book your place
4. We email you with all the course information including kit lists, timings, parking and location