At A Glance
Why choose this course?
- The perfect first-step in to the mountains for anyone lacking experience
- Practical course with real-life situations in the mountains
- Ideal course for complete beginners who want to start hillwalking but not sure where to start
- Eliminate the risk of accidents in the mountains and getting lost by learning valuable and essential skills
Why choose Mountain Walks?
- All our courses are led and taught by fully qualified, experienced and knowledgeable instructors
- We specialise in organising mountain skill courses and walks
- Our courses are taught in a fun, friendly and relaxed atmosphere
- We make sure that everything from booking your course to learning is as stress free and enjoyable as possible
Book Hillwalking Workshop
A two-day workshop specifically for people new to hillwalking.
Getting started is often the hardest thing which is why we have designed this workshop specifically around your needs. Let us help you get started and teach you the fundamentals needed to safely enjoy the mountains.
You will spend two-days in the mountains learning in a fun, relaxed and enjoyable group atmosphere, with one of our instructors with you every step. We’ll teach you everything you need to know to get started hillwalking and share plenty of tips to make your adventures more enjoyable.
After this workshop you will have the skills to confidently plan, walk and enjoy your own mountain adventures.
The workshop will cover three main areas:
Navigation and map reading
- Get to grips with your map and compass
- Navigate and follow routes with ease
- Deal with navigational errors and get back on track
Route planning and walking strategy
- Planning routes and following guide books
- Strategies and tips to make your walks more enjoyable
- Learn about access land, conservation and the environment
Preparing for your walks and dealing with issues
- Check and interpret a proper mountain weather forecast
- Ensure you are equipped and prepared for a day in the mountains
- Learn how to deal with emergencies and what to do if things go wrong
Dates for 2019
- Saturday 27th – Sunday 28th April
- Saturday 25th – Sunday 26th May
- Saturday 22nd – Sunday 23rd June
- Saturday 27th – Sunday 28th July
- Saturday 24th – Sunday 25th August
- Saturday 21st – Sunday 22nd September
Is this for me?
None! Aimed at beginners we will teach you all the skills needed to enjoy hillwalking. However, a good level of fitness is required as you will spend two full days in the mountains.
Where does it start?
The workshop will be held in the Langdale Valley in the Lake District. You will need to book your own accommodation in or around this area. Ambleside is 5-miles away with plenty of options.
How to book your workshop
You can book your workshop anytime through the website.
1. Decide which date you would like to attend
2. Use the booking calendar above to select your date and click ‘book now’
3. You pay a 35% deposit to book your place
4. We email you with all the walk information including kit lists, timings, parking and locations